To read is to fly: it is to soar to a point of vantage which gives a view over wide terrains of history, human variety, ideas, shared experience and the fruits of many inquiries.” AC Grayling
Many years ago, there was this campaign on TV on “Read Today, Lead Tomorrow” that struck me. I could not agree more as I was already a bookworm then hatching to be a bookmonster – haha. I raved to read and create my own world of sorts. Don’t get me wrong. I was not having illusions and voices on my head. It’s just that reading brought me to different places and met many great people. I appreciated the campaign because it encouraged us kids then to read instead of spending time watching endless cartoon or playing video/computer games.
Old books and magazines that would have found its way early into the garbage, got into our house from different sources. We were lucky to have this paradise of books not because we were rich but because there was treasure in the hand-me-down books.
Fast forward to 2012, the slogan is still relevant with a different challenge: tech gadgets. Since I acquired my IPhone in January 2011, my habits changed. I have slowly put off my reading habit until I broke it. My IPhone was too hard to resist. How more can Facebook and Twitter become irresistible when they are just a tap away? In spite of the social networks’ saturation, I still get tempted to check, check and check. IPhone is too small for reading other stuff anyway. Looking back, it has been more than a year and I regret breaking the habit. I purchased a book early last year and it’s still waiting to get its last page say “fin”. As a realization, I have put it back in my work backpack and started reading it on the train. Oh what an effort! I look around and see people all glued on their IPhones or IPads- not reading but doing something else.
With all the tech gadgets around- Kindle, IPad, Tablet and what have you, the challenge today is not about reading hardbooks. It is about finding time to make a serious reading of some relevant books- hard and electronic books alike. Most of the tech gadgets have functions other than ebook reader. So, who’s reading books in those tablets? Most of us would probably be tempted to check our friends’ social network status or play Angry Birds. I’m not saying don’t do it. I’m just sending the message from the Book: R E A D M E…
Did anybody tell you why reading is important? Let me give you five reasons and if you are not convinced, I have no more words to say:
1. Enhances knowledge. While almost all information can be picked up on the internet, all the details are not complete. Nowadays you do not need to buy a book to learn how-tos. However, you will still need to pick up the book for the details and the fulfillment of getting the hard information and facts from the source.
2. Stimulates the brain. This is another obvious reason that comes out of the exercise of reading. Surely games do stimulate but it does not add knowledge. So between a helpful stimulating game and a book that adds knowledge- which one do you choose first? Ultimately, it’s a matter of priority. You can still have the game
3. Directs your focus on the important things. When you develop the habit of reading, you also improve your attitude towards important and less important things in your life. You learn to give up crap for the more useful things.
4. Feeds your passion. When you read books that interest you, it works like the air that ignites the fire in your passion. It keeps the love burning and moving forward to something beneficial. It keeps you from stagnation or complacency.
5. Brings you ahead of the race. Who is reading nowadays? Not so many people. This then you in a better position because you have more knowledge, more focus, and more passion.
So need I say more? Start to develop or rekindle your reading habit. There’s no other way to do it if you want to lead the race. Visit the bookstore or Amazon and find something you can read either with a hard book or with your tablet. As a starting point, we recommend you to check out our Book Reviews.
HELP US SPREAD THE WORD. PLEASE SHARE!